Ray J Says He Isn’t in Talks With Trump Administration to Get Suge Knight Pardoned for Manslaughter Conviction
On Thurs., Nov. 7, Ray J used his Instagram account to refute The Daily Mail's report about him trying to talk to the President Trump administration about getting Suge Knight's manslaughter conviction pardoned.
See what Ray J has to say below.
According to an article the U.K.’s Daily Mail published on Wednesday (Nov. 6), the R&B singer is reportedly talking with members of the Trump Administration to discuss the possibility of pardoning Suge. The former founder of Death Row Records is currently in prison serving out his 28-year sentence for manslaughter for killing Terry Carter and injuring Cle Sloan with his car on the set of the movie Straight Outta Compton January 2015.
An insider close to Ray J reportedly told the outlet that he hopes President Donald Trump will pardon Suge because he believes that he has learned from his wrong-doing and is ready to change his ways. The source reportedly also stated that Ray J was motivated that he could mirror his ex-girlfriend Kim Kardashian's advocacy for criminal justice reform. He saw how Kim was able to help get clemency for Alice Johnson, who was convicted of drug trafficking in 1996 and was just released from prison last year, and he now reportedly wants to prove he can do the same thing.
However, according to the source, reps for Ray J are reportedly worried that if the singer should meet with President Trump he could face backlash from the African American community.
"The people around Ray J keep telling him that the fallout with African Americans for meeting with Trump could be catastrophic to his career. Especially if he shows up at a political rally,' the insider reportedly told the publication.
Nonetheless, Ray J is reportedly adamant about meeting with Trump to see if he get Suge a pardon.
XXL has reached out to Ray J's rep for comment.
See 50 of the Best Hip-Hop Albums Since 2000