Kendrick Lamar Says Macklemore Posting Their Grammy Text Conversation Was “Uncalled For”
In an interview with Hot 97's Ebro In The Morning show, Kendrick Lamar said that he felt like it was "uncalled for" when Macklemore posted the text message conversation between the two after Macklemore and Ryan Lewis's The Heist beat Kendrick's Good Kid M.A.A.D City for the Grammy award for Best Rap Album earlier this year. Macklemore posted the text message thread to Instagram the night of the Grammys (Jan. 26, 2014), saying that he felt Kendrick "got robbed." "I think it was uncalled for to be 100 with you," when asked what he felt about him posting the text message. He continued by saying "When he sent it to me, I was like 'okay, I could see him feelin' that type of way' because he's a good dude. But I think for confirmation from the world; he probably felt the need to put it out there.. He didn't need to do [that]."
Kendrick continued by saying that winning awards and accolades is "not confirmation of success" for him. Check out the rest of the interview above, where he talks about working with Pharrell, his upcoming album, and more.