Fox’s ‘Empire’ Soundtrack Debuts at No. 1 in This Week’s Album Sales (3/18/2015)
With 130,000 sold, the soundtrack for Fox TV's breakout hit series Empire is the No. 1 album on the Billboard 200 chart. The 130,000 albums sold beat out Madonna's new Rebel Heart album, which sold 121,000 units. Pure album sales comprised 84 percent of Empire’s first week, which is about 110,000 copies sold. This is the first season of Empire. The soundtrack's first-week sale forecast was originally projected to move 25,000 units. That quickly changed to around 125,000 on March 11, the day after it went on sale. Just like its sale forecast, the popularity of the show has skyrocketed over the past couple of weeks.
Drake’s If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late dropped three spots to No. 7 moving 58,000 units. Big Sean's Dark Sky Paradise closes out the top 10, dropping to No. 10 with 38,000 units sold.
1. The Empire soundtrack, 130,000
7. Drake, If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late, 58,000
10. Big Sean, Dark Sky Paradise, 38,000
20. J. Cole, 2014 Forest Hills Drive, 10,863
21. Nicki Minaj, The Pinkprint, 10,208
29. Childish Gambino, Because The Internet, 7,721
30. Rae Sremmurd, SremmLife, 7,717
31. Chris Brown & Tyga, Fan of a Fan: The Album, 7,586
*The Billboard 200 chart ranks the most popular albums of the week based on mulit-metric consumption, which includes traditional album sales, track equivalent albums and streaming equivalent albums.
Hot 97 interviewed Jussie Smollett (Jamal Lyon) and Bryshere Gray a.k.a. Yazz (Hakeem Lyon). Watch that below.