Republic Records and Label Executive Charlie Walk Part Ways After Sexual Harassment Allegations
Republic Records is in search of a new president after mutually parting ways with Charlie Walk following allegations of sexual harassment.
According to a March 28 report from Variety, the move comes after five female former employees of Republic and two from Sony Music labels accused the executive of sexual harassment. While Universal has yet to comment on Walk's departure, the former The Four judge did release a statement to Rolling Stone denying any wrongdoing.
“I did not do these things and this is not who I am," Walk said. "Throughout my career I have always sought to conduct myself professionally and appropriately. It is upsetting to be presented with false claims from long ago that I know to be untrue and were never reported. I support the national discussion taking place right now because I believe fully in the importance in treating everyone with respect and dignity at all times.”
Walk had been on leave from Republic Records since January after the first allegations arose and also lost his job as a judge on Fox's The Four, being cut from the season finale. Universal Music Group had previously said the allegations against Walk appeared to have occurred prior to his appointment at Republic, but the company would still "conduct a full and complete review" of the matter.
Republic Records has become the home for many of hip-hop's biggest stars, including Amine, Kid Cudi, The Weeknd and Post Malone. Last year, Nessly signed with the label and recently dropped his Wildflower project through the imprint.
Check Out the 2018 Hip-Hop Music Festivals You Need to See