Lauryn Hill Covers Nina Simone’s “Feeling Good”
Netflix is preparing to drop What Happened, Miss Simone?, a documentary on the late singer/songwriter. In honor of the jazz/blues musician, many artists, including Lauryn Hill, have done covers of some of Nina Simone's most famous songs, many of which will be put together for the compilation album, Nina Revisited: A Tribute to Nina Simone. Yesterday (June 17), Ms. Lauryn's cover of Simone's 1965, "Feeling Good" dropped, and on it, she let's us know she's still got it.
Prior to working on the comp, the "Ex-Factor" singer agreed to record two songs, according to Rolling Stone. She ended up laying down six tracks after getting into the music and also serves as a producer on the upcoming album.
"Because I fed on this music, both hers and lovers like her, like my basic food, I believed I always had a right to have a voice," said Lauryn. "Her example is clearly a form of sustenance to a generation needing to find theirs. What a gift."
What Happened, Miss Simone? is out June 26. Take a listen to "Feeling Good" above and peep the tracklist for Nina Revisited: A Tribute to Nina Simone, which drops July 10, below.
1. Lisa Simone - "Nobody's Fault but Mine (Intro)"
2. Ms. Lauryn Hill - "Feeling Good"
3. Ms. Lauryn Hill - "I've Got Life" - Ms. Lauryn Hill
4. Ms. Lauryn Hill - "Ne Me Quitte Pas" - Ms. Lauryn Hill
5. Jazmine Sullivan "Baltimore"
6. Grace - "Love Me or Leave Me"
7. Usher - "My Baby Just Cares For Me"
8. Mary J. Blige - "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood"
9. Gregory Porter - "Sinnerman"
10. Common & Lalah Hathaway - "YG&B"
11. Alice Smith - "I Put A Spell On You"
12. Lisa Simone - "I Want A Little Sugar In My Bowl"
13. Ms. Lauryn Hill - "Black Is The Color Of My True Love's Hair"
14. Ms. Lauryn Hill - "Wild Is The Wind"
15. Ms. Lauryn Hill - "African Mailman"
16. Nina Simone - "I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel To Be Free"