Yasiin Bey Jumps on A Tribe Called Red’s New Track “R.E.D.”
First Nation DJ trio A Tribe Called Red have unveiled “R.E.D.,” their scorching new collaboration with Brooklyn’s own Yasiin Bey – aka, the rapper formerly known as Mos Def. Their new track also features Canadian-Iraqi MC Narcy and Black Bear, a drum group from Quebec’s Manawan Atikamekw Nation. You can listen to the track above.
Packed with booming drums, shouts and ominous synths, “R.E.D” brings out the best of Yasiin Bey. “What I forgot is better than whatever they remember,” Yasiin raps near the opening of the new song. Narcy is next up on the song, offering a verse that’s as ferocious as the instrumental he’s rapping on.
“R.E.D.” is set to appear on A Tribe Called Red’s upcoming album We Are The Halluci Nation, which will be released on Sept. 16. The track premiered on Beats 1 Radio. Narcy says “R.E.D.” Is a groundbreaking song because of the diversity of the people on it.
“I think it is the first time in history where you have an African, an Iraqi and the Indigenous of Canada are on one song,” he says. “It’s an important breaking in culture, we are coming together to counter the narratives built around the history of our communities and showing the power of our people combined. It feels like the beginning of something new and old, the rebirth after many injustices.”
Fans can check out the tracklist for We Are The Halluci Nation below:
1. “We Are The Halluci Nation” Ft. John Trudell, Northern Voice
2. “R.E.D.” Ft. Yasiin Bey, Narcy & Black Bear
3. “The Virus” Ft. Saul Williams & Black Bear
5. “(Sila)” Ft. Tanya Tagaq
6. “The Light” Ft. Lido Pimienta
7. “Maima Koopi” Ft. OKA and Chippewa Travellers
8. “JHD” Ft. Junior Ottawa
9. “Eanan” Ft. Maxida Marak
10. “The Muse” Ft. Jen Kreisberg
11. “Indian City” Ft. Northern Voice
12. “How I Feel” Ft. Leonard Sumner, Shad & Northern Voice
13. “For You” (The Light Part II) Ft. Lido Pimienta
14. “ALie Nation” Ft. John Trudell, Lido Pimienta, Tanya Tagaq & Northern Voice
Keep it locked with XXL for more updates on A Tribe Called Red and Yasiin Bey.
50 Great Albums From Rappers With Poetic Flows
Subscribe to XXL on