Meek Mill will remain in jail at least until September as the judge in his case has denied the rapper’s lawyer’s request for an emergency hearing to try to get the MMG MC freed at an earlier date, reports Philly.com. The Philadelphia rapper’s lawyers Christopher Warren and Dennis Cogan filed the petition Thursday (July 17) requesting a hearing within three days. However, Common Pleas Judge Genece Brinkley, who sentenced the 27-year-old rapper to 3 to 6 months jail, will not be available for such a hearing until September. She also rejected the notion of another judge hearing the case. This has left Meek’s counsel frustrated. “All I’m asking for is a hearing to learn why [his jailing] is constitutional and they won’t even give me that,” Warren told reporters.
As previously reported, the Dreamchasers CEO has been jailed since July 11 when he was sentenced to 3 to 6 months in jail for a probation violation. On Monday, Warren and Cogan plan to file what is known as a writ of mandamus, a rare order that attempts to get a higher judge to force Brinkley into an emergency hearing. They contend his jailing was unconstitutional because he was not notified of his violations via written notice and Brinkley failed to hold two hearings.
When revoking his bail Brinkley said Meek, “failed to provide his probation officer with a working phone number, used his Twitter account to disparage the officer and the prosecutor assigned to the case, booked out-of-town concerts without court permission, was “combative” and “disrespectful” to probation-office staffers and posed for a picture posted on Instagram holding a gun.”
Meek Mill’s sophomore album, Dreams Worth More Than Money is scheduled to drop September 9.