- Lean_01Earlier this year, Chief Keef spoke of quitting the substance telling Billboard, “My last two mixtapes were mistakes. I was on promethazine, all drugged out. I was tweaking. I don’t sip the lean no more though.”
- Lean_052 Chainz also recently spoke of his will to let the lean go unveiling, “I have a very strong mind. It’s the same thing with drugs and anything else. If you’re able to go cold turkey, wake up and say, ‘I don’t really need this,’ then that shows a lot about who you are as a person.”
- Lean_03In Lil Wayne's unforgettable interview with Katie Couric, Wayne says of the substance, “I can’t [drink it anymore]. I was doing too much and the doctor kinda told me, ‘We can’t tell you what to do, but I suggest that your mom tell you to stop.’ [And] she did tell me to stop.”
- Lean_6A While back ScHoolboy Q told Cipha Sounds and K. Foxx formerly of Hot 97′s Cipha Sounds & Rosenberg Show, “I just quit sippin’ lean last week. I’ve been going through withdrawals. It’s like somebody’s grabbing your stomach… and just holding it.” However, some months later the rapper caught up with Angie Martinez of Hot 97 unveiling that he relapsed. "I still sip lean (aka syrup) from time to time now though. I stopped and then I kinda like relapsed, but not like how I used to do."
- danny_brown_releaseDanny Brown told Tim Westwood earlier this year why he decided to kick the habit. "I was getting too fat, I gained like 15 pounds." Later adding, "Can't wear high fashion and have the Gucci Mane belly so one of them had to go."
- Lean_07Lil Boosie is no longer a fan of the substance, recently stating that he “nearly died three or four times from drinking lean.” He also believes that the drank has “fucked up a lot of rappers and the culture of hip hop.” Boosie also says “Once you on, it’s hard to get off. It’s damn near impossible.”
- Future_2Future kicked the habit simply for his fiancee Ciara. “I was just like, ‘You’re on that purple drink, how’s that gonna look to people?," Future told SPIN. "Like I’m drinking lean and she’s this amazing R&B diva. I thought about people saying to her, ‘You are a pop star and this dude right here, he’s just this n**** drinking lean.’ How’s that gonna look?”
As negative press swarms the net with news of Rich Homie Quan having a seizure as a result of promethazine codeine and Soulja Boy also recently revealing an undying love for the substance, it’s only right for hip-hop to attempt to shine a positive light on the matter. As the product is no longer on the market and many rappers have come forth unveiling an addiction to the cough syrup, XXL thought it appropriate to celebrate the rappers who were able to kick the habit. Check out “7 Rappers Who Kicked The Cough Syrup Habit .”