1 of 6
- kreayintroYesterday, Kreayshawn released the tracklist for what will be her debut album, <i>Somethin' Bout Kreay</i>, including features from the likes of 2 Chainz, Kid Cudi, and the always controversial V-Nasty. Last week, New York Magazine's Jada Yuan caught up with the Oakland rapper as part of the mag's running feature, <i>112 Minutes With...</i>. You can read the article in it's entirety <a href="http://nymag.com/news/intelligencer/encounter/kreayshawn-2012-8/">here</a>, but here's the 5 most important things we took away from the writer's time with Kreay.
- kreayshawn41. Kreayshawn's debut LP is a cross between teen girl music and 36-year-old drug dealer music.<i>The tracks are light but packed with sly drug references (bread, syrup, juice). “It’s definitely like a teen-girl CD, but you have songs like ‘Breakfast’ on it that are teen girl–slash–36-year-old–drug dealer.”</i>
- kreay52. The M in MTV stands for mom, not music.<i>She actually did go to film school for two semesters, dropping out to make friends’ music videos (she cites Missy Elliott, No Doubt, and John Waters as influences). But she scoffs when I mention MTV: “MTV gets you pregnant! Teen Mom. It’s crazy how the ‘M’ in MTV is for ‘Mom.’ It’s not for ‘Music.”</i>
- kreay23. She buys sneakers at Goodwill and solicits sneaker shop employees for free kicks.<i>The 22-year-old rapper, with an endearingly old-school penchant for getting into beefs (with Rick Ross, Nicki Minaj, Odd Future’s Hodgy Beats, and Azealia Banks), looks like someone you should be social networking with: half-blonde; fluorescent-pink jelly choker; four-inch platform sneakers from Goodwill; false eyelashes; cat-eye glasses without lenses; and more than twenty tattoos, including Hello Kitty, Goofy, Daisy Duck (holding a pistol), a hamburger, a half-eaten drumstick, and, across her knuckles, the numbers of a telephone dial pad. Later, some sneaker-shop employees ask for a picture. She asks if they’re giving her free shoes." </i>
- Kreay14. She's single!<i>Didn’t she tell Complex she was a lesbian—not “raging” but “occasional”? Doesn’t she have that song “It’s summertime / And your bitch is on my mind?” Right now, she says, she’s just “meeting people, not, like, finding the man of my dreams.” Then she de-clarifies: “The whatever of my dreams.”</i>
- kreay35. Kreayshawn's got a 2-year plan<i>We pass a sushi restaurant. Is she hungry? “I was born hungry,” she says, then stops to admire a clearly insane gentleman singing opera. “That’s gonna be me in like two years, I swear. Just embracing life, you know?”</i>