Jay-Z spoke at a press conference this morning (August 31) to provide details about his “Answer The Call” charity concert on September 11.
The show, which occurs on the eighth anniversary of both the 9/11 tragedy and Jay’s first Blueprint release, is being housed in Madison Square Garden, with all proceeds from the show going to New York Police and Fire Widows’s and Children’s Benefit Fund.
Hov said the charitable concert was inspired by the heroism displayed in New York City after the World Trade Center terrorist attacks. He remembers viewing the destruction and rescue efforts back in 2001, from a television in Los Angeles, where he had been shooting his “Girls, Girls Girls” video.
“It looked like a movie to me,” Jay-Z said of the 9/11 news coverage. “It didn’t look like anything that could be real. So the last thing I was thinking about was an album. The first thing I was thinking about was what happens from here?
“I turned on the TV September 12, and I saw footage of these heroic actions, people running into buildings and saving each other and I just saw the strength of New York,” Jay continued. “It made me proud. So as I was embarking on putting out this Blueprint 3, it was only right to revisit the day and this is my chance to do something to help out.”
The Brooklyn rapper was tightlipped about the show. Of guests appearances he said, “it could be one, it could be 10,” adding that he’ll likely perform “anywhere between four to more” tracks from his upcoming album.
As XXLMag.com previously reported, “Answer The Call” will coincide with the release of Jay’s The Blueprint 3, hitting stores the same day.
The concert will air on Fuse TV at 9pm EST. Tickets will go on sale to the general public on September 8 at noon. They can be purchased for $50 each at ticketmaster.com. –John Kennedy