The *real* greatest story never told

“It seemed like the value of his beats were worth more than my rhymes so we couldnt just keep working. Which is understandable, he’s Just Blaze…Im just Saigon the mixtape rapper.” – Saigon, the lowly mixtape rapper

According to a few people who have heard it, Saigon’s The Greatest Story Never Told really is the best rap album since forever. Legendary hater that I am, of course I’ll believe that shit when see (er, hear) it. Either way, the back and forth between Saigon and Just Blaze re: the album’s ridonkulously lengthy postponement could very well end up more entertaining than the album itself, regardless of how good it is.

Last week I brought you ‘bags the story of how Saigon has been complaining to the media about how Atlantic Records isn’t bothering to release his album because it has basically no commercial prospects, and how Just Blaze ate up all of his recording budget, so he couldn’t record a hit single now even if he wanted to, and how he’s threatening to leak the album to the Internets himself, even if it means him being dropped from Atlantic like a female rapper or a bad habit.

Just Blaze responded with a rather lengthy, if not particularly informative blog post in which he explained that the release of The Greatest Story Never Told has been held up for two years now because there was an issue with a sample and sometimes a sample really does take two years to clear. Unless you’re Jay-Z, in which case a few phone calls are made and your shit’s in stores pretty much the next day. Also, he’s upset that Saigon would run to the media with this issue, though Just Blaze couldn’t be bothered to actually give Saigon a call himself and tell him this. I guess he was too busy putting together YouTube videos mocking yours truly.

Not to be outdone, Saigon responded to Just Blaze’s blog post with a blog post of his own in which he pretty much calls Just Blaze a liar and a douchebag – though in not so many words, lest his shit get pushed back even further. According to Saigon, Just Blaze is driven by his lust for the almighty dollar rather than any genuine love for hip-hop as an artform. If he wasn’t, the two of them could just sit around in the studio all day and create great rap music to give away for free over the Internets, since there obviously isn’t much of a commercial market for great rap music.

So yeah, this is obviously one of those cases where both sides of the argument are full of shit. Saigon, for his part, was probably right in the first place when he suggested that the real reason his album has yet to be released is because hardly anyone would cop that shit anyway. He isn’t winning any points though with all of his talk about how he’s only in this for the love of music and all of his bullshit threats to leak the album to the Internets. Again, I’ll believe that shit when I see it.

And Just Blaze is obviously gonna come up with any reason why the album has yet to be released other than the fact that he’s already made his money off the project and hence could give a rat’s ass one way or the other. As a label exec, not to mention the album’s producer, I suppose I can appreciate the unique nature of his position in this matter. And I’m sure having Saigon air out all of his business via MySpace isn’t helping matters either, though so far I’d say it’s been pretty good entertainment for the rest of us.

• http://xxlmag.com Billy X. Sunday

Pharoe Monch has 2007′s best album since Saigon’s joint will dropping in Nevuary 2021

• http://www.plasticsquirtguns.blogspot.com thoreauly77

gonna have to disagree with you there senor sunday. ISWYD is the best album of the year and will likely remain so. in my ever-so-humble Albeit correct) opinion of course.

bol- the whole thing has been incredibly entertaining; hopefully the album will come out though— it would be a shame if it didnt considering all the work and money that has gone into it. on that note, i have this to say: papoose, take notes.

• ak47

>Granted I’d rather have a great rap album than a story about a great rap album, but shit. These days I’ll take what I can get.

Aint that the fuckin truth.

• http://xxlmag.com Billy X. Sunday

I thought Jus Blaze was a cool nigga before this situation and that video he made with Jay Smooth (who I agree is a octaroon hater)

• yung ceasa

The Greatest Story Never Told>>>>>>>>>>

anybody else see tha irony in that, or is it just me?

• http://www.plasticsquirtguns.blogspot.com thoreauly77

the new aesop rock album should be out here pretty soon as well; he always makes interesting music.

• Mr Clean

Ur god dam herb, rap nerd, u can’t even understand what that fuka is saying , maybe if u replay the trak 4 times.

Thats not hip hop, its uni research

Backpaker scum

, saigon , papoose, skyzoo and ghost all the way.

• Boner Jams 03

“i’ll pop a pussy person for purposely perpertrating/ put a hole in this punk, this pussy’s impersonatin…” one of the illest bars ever

• http://www.myspace.com/djqtmixtape ROBBYLAKES

now this wouldbe an awesome setup if they were doin this for the pub…but unfourtunately its not.

its all bout ti vs Tip@atlantic rightnow.

hopefully saigon signing to violator management will help his situ. idont know exactly how but hope it does

• Cinsere

Too late…Saigon already apologized

• b-ease

As the music gets progressively worse, the non music shit gets exponentially better.

1.50′s Vibe interview
    2. Cam’Ron’s backyard pool video
    3. TI’s concept album.
    4. Wayne crying when reunited with Trina

There’s more, but what im trying to say is hiphop has never been more entertaining. Even though the music sucks.

• john cochran

His album still may not drop. Its a shame cause hes a real emcee. He follows in the steps of Cube, who was gangsta but still had a message. Just probably just couldnt dedicate himself to Sai’s career, him gettin that Jay-z, Budwieser commercial money now.

• Cuban Link

• jeff

i heard a large portion of the album. All I can tell you is it’s much closer to Group Home’s Livin’ Proof than it is Nas’ s Illmatic. All of the beats on this album are much better than his garbage ass lyrics. Enjoyable listen if you want to become a producer one day, but them rhymes don’t make a brotha wanna rap.

• b-ease

Im still not sure who comes off looking like the true asshole in this situation…but right now i think Saigon is up by a hair…

• b-ease

yung ceasa Says:

June 18th, 2007 at 2:48 pm
    The Greatest Story Never Told>>>>>>>>>>

anybody else see tha irony in that, or is it just me?
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

almost as funny as Slim Thug’s “Already Platinum”…almost.

• jeff

My name is Jeff Johnson. I drink from douche bags.

• HNIC

• CUBAN LINK Says:

June 18th, 2007 at 3:26 pm
    “Bol, this is such a stupid post.How could this be the *real* greatest story never told if you just told it to us?”
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    There’s a Chinese riddle for you.

• jeff

This is Jeff Johnson again. I just wanted you to know that I eat my own feces and drink piss from the women’s bathroom. I also jerk off to pictures of squirrels.

• jeff

Hey, it’s me again. I wish that I could go out to dinner with bol at McDonalds or something and talk about his thoughts on the Russians. Will they attack? Are they really zebras? If anybody knows, it’s Bol.

• http://myspace.com/hotboxbeats hotbox

As much as I like Saigon, this is an obvious publicity stunt. Almost as corny as You tube video beef.

• 757 4evea

Kids lets say this together, “Publicity Stunt”…thanks for coming and I’ll see you next week on HipHop Hijinks 101

• yung ceasa

b-ease Says:

June 18th, 2007 at 3:41 pm
    yung ceasa Says:

June 18th, 2007 at 2:48 pm
    The Greatest Story Never Told>>>>>>>>>>

anybody else see tha irony in that, or is it just me?
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

almost as funny as Slim Thug’s “Already Platinum”…almost.

—————————–

lol yeah seein as it went barely gold

• http://xxlmag.com Bol

>Too late…Saigon already apologized

Not to ruin anyone’s moment, but didn’t he apologize in all of the other posts as well, or at the very least do a whole lot of ass kissing?

I could see if the post was called, Saigon just won’t apologize, will he?

But, alas, it isn’t…

• Real Talk

Bol you have to know that the video wasn’t really about you but about hip hop blogging/the nets in general. The Dis/shoutout was obviously out of love. The rest of it is about his personal taking over Hiphopmusic.com over from Jay Smooth. and like someone else said Sai and Blaze squashed everything like yesterday.

Also no one said the album was held up for 2 years over a sample, just the last few months.

• The DJ Formerly Known as N-CREDIBLE

Billy X. Sunday Says:

June 18th, 2007 at 2:25 pm
    Pharoe Monch has 2007’s best album since Saigon’s joint will dropping in Nevuary 2021
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    who asked you buddy

• eauhellzgnaw

This album will not be anywhere near classic.

There hasn’t been a great album this year; and there won’t be.

• Stonyman

WTF all this talk about great albums. Where is the talk of the Talib Kwali Ear Drum advance release. I have been listening to this hot ass album all week and there hasn’t been a peep from the self-proclaimed hip-hop blogger. Get to work.

• jeff

lol..someone is really bored to be fucking with my email address like that. must be a die hard saigon fan

• IKE TURNER

ASK TINA BOUT MY LOVE FOR ‘THE ALMIGHTY DOLLAR’

LOVE AINT GOT SH!T TO DO WITH IT

• http://www.allhiphop.com Rey

Jeez.. So last year it was Lupe and Hov, and this year it’s Saigon and Just Blaze?

Bol, seriously, take your laptop and throw it in the garbage. There should be room for it next to your selfrespect and dignity.

UNO!

• Ali

Pharoah Monch is a legend (no shit) but I think if Detox comes out this year (very unlikely…i bet even Saigon’s album will come out be4 Dre’s) than that’s gon be tha album of 07

• Cuban Link

co-sign Ali, what ever happened to all that about Detox 06?08 looks like a good year for Dre seeing how 50 and G-Unit and possibly D12 are dropping at the end of the year.

Saigon is dope, I dont know why yall hating on his lyrics, that negro can spit.I think he defiantly could come with a classic album, I mean the times perfect for someone with talent to take over.

I miss the days when Jay-Z ran things.I remember in every barber shop he was being talked about.Theres no solid artists out there anymore, I mean someone that can actually RAP and the streets are feeling.

• Tyler

On the real, Who gives a shit about either one of these dudes much less ‘dat album? Waste of post space BoL get back on your grind.
    UrbanRock

• J.R.O.

It’s a damn shame. I don’t care if it’s supposed to be “the greatest Hip Hop album ever.” People been waiting too damn long. I don’t even feel like buying this shit if it ever comes out now. These two dudes are acting like idiots. And, they wonder why people say that Hip Hop is dead.

I’m tired of Rap, not because of the South, or whatever, but because lately, my favorite rappers just aren’t impressing me.

• b-ease

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    What happened with Lupe and Hov?

• http://www.exposeyaass.com EXPOSER

ROFLMFAO!!!!

I thought you didnt delete posts BOL?

XXL didnt like gettin its card pulled huh? Then you got Fluffy X. Softday tryina act like he was the first one to speak up. LMAO!

Yall some fuckin jokes. lol.

You’ve been EXPOSED.

• http://www.xxlmag.com EReal

Who Cares? Saigon is one of those most known unknowns. The so called new school saviors that are gonna “bring NY back” lol. When did NY leave?

I wonder what his contract with Lighty looks like, since he only cares about being heard, right?

LOL @ Rey.

1 hunned.

• Washington

Rap music is over. Did anyone here actually BUY a rap cd this year? I rest my case.

• Pancho

#
    The DJ Formerly Known as N-CREDIBLE Says:

June 18th, 2007 at 4:29 pm

Billy X. Sunday Says:

June 18th, 2007 at 2:25 pm
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    who asked you buddy

^^^Have you listened to Desire at all?
    that album by far the best of 07 so far.

I’m 18 years old…and I seriously think Saigon is finally gonna drop when I get to the age of 30. (it’ll be a damn shame too).

• KhaN

Crawford is liar

• RICH KID LDN

HERES WHAT HAPPENED TO SAIGON
    1.PAPOOSE STOLE YOUR SOCIAL COMMENTRY CROWN
    2.TRIED TOO HARD TO NOT FIT IN
    3.PAIN IN MY LIFE WAS SHIT
    4.SOULJA BOY (NAME SOUNDS COOLER)
    5.ONLY NEW YORK EMBRACED YOU
    MORE REASONS…YOU KNOW THE REST
    SAIGON YOU TOOK WAY TOO LONG TO DROP BUZZ DIED DOWN TO AN ALL TIME LOW,JUST BLAZE AINT BOTHERED COS YOU AINT GOT NO BUZZ.THERES ONLY SO MANY TIMES YOU CAN TALK ABOUT “I WAS RAISED IN JAIL”THAT SEEMED TO BE ALL YOU HAD TO OFFER!! NO ONE WILL REMEMBER YOU IN 6-7 MONTHS