Kanye West Goes Head-To-Head With Jimmy Kimmel
Two weeks after he posted a memorable Twitter rant denouncing comedian Jimmy Kimmel, Kanye West appeared on Jimmy Kimmel Live! to confront Kimmel and the comedian's skit mocking 'Ye's interview with Zane Lowe. The rapper and the comedian had a candid, sometimes awkward, yet consistently engaging conversation that touched on a variety of topics surrounding the controversy around Kanye's tweets.
After the interview started coolly amongst the men, with Kimmel jokingly asking Kanye about his clothes in a move that didn't seem to land with Yeezy or the audience, the pair addressed Internet speculation that Kimmel and Kanye's beef was staged as a publicity stunt.
"Everyone out there in TV world, real world, whatever world you stay in needs to know that I have never done a publicity stunt in my life," Kanye told Kimmel. "Anytime I went up and spoke my mind, whether it put my career in jeopardy or whatever someone so-called said, it was always what I thought was the truth. Whether I'm reading through a teleprompter or whatever I felt emotionally, I don't fall follow rules of normal celebrity or what their publicist tells them to say or anything. I don't do publicity stunts. Period."
Some other interesting tidbits from the interview:
- The interview ran so long that it bumped the scheduled music guest, Arctic Monkeys, from the show.
- Jimmy Kimmel admitted to not having watched Kanye's entire interview with Zane Lowe before the comedian made his sketch. To be fair, Kanye West revealed that he did not watch Kimmel's entire sketch before going on his rant, either.
- Speaking on his relationship with the media, Kanye said, "Media does everything they can to break creatives, and I do everything I can to break media.”
- Kanye reiterated his belief in his own genius: "For me to be saying I'm not a genius, I'd be lying to you and to myself."
- On the paparazzi and fans approaching West in public: "It’s not safe for you in this zoo. Don’t think for a second that I’m not from Chicago.”
- Yeezy also spoke at length and often eloquently about his frustrations with the fashion industry, the paparazzi and the media's consistent misrepresentation of him.
You can watch the two-part interview in the videos at the top and bottom of the page.