1 of 5
- PharrellPharrellOccupation: Rapper/Producer/Designer<br />Age: 39<br />Albums: 1 solo album, 4 group albums<br />Grammy Awards: 3 wins, 7 other nominations as a solo artist <br />Side Hustles: Runs I Am Other label, as well as a clothing line<br />Artists Ushered into the Mainstream: Kelis, Clipse<br />Style of Judge: Extremely focused and tuned-in, with constructive critiques that display an actual knowledge of musical theory<br />Potential Critique: "Your pitch became a bit flat towards the middle there, but your voice is something the world needs to hear."
- nicki minajNicki MinajOccupation: Rapper<br />Age: 29<br />Albums: 2<br />Grammy Awards: 4 nominations<br />Side Hustles: Soon-to-be released fragrance<br />Artists Ushered into the Mainstream: None<br />Style of Judge: Generally sweet, with the occasionally borderline foul facial reaction<br />Potential Critique: "I wish I could have this moment for life. You just took my breath away!"
- diddyDiddyOccupation: Rapper/Producer/Mogul<br />Age: 42<br />Albums: 6<br />Grammy Awards: 3 wins, 6 other nominations<br />Side Hustles: Ciroc, Clothing, general moguldom <br />Artists Ushered into the Mainstream: The Notorious B.I.G., Lil Kim, Ma$e, The Lox, Da Band, French Montana, Machine Gun Kelly<br />Style of Judge: Hyper-critical with a consistent sprinkle of comedy<br />Potential Critique: "Would you walk to Brooklyn to make it to the next round?...What's that?...Yeah, I know we're filming this in L.A. You heard my question, though..."
- kanye westKanye WestOccupation: Rapper/Producer<br />Age: 35<br />Albums: 5 solo, 1 group <br />Grammy Awards: 18 wins, 25 other nominations<br />Side Hustles: Designer, Director<br />Artists Ushered into the Mainstream: John Legend, Big Sean, Kid Cudi<br />Style of Judge: Brutally honest, occasionally inarticulate <br />Potential Critique: *Interrupts mid-perfomance* "I'ma let you finish, but I'd really rather you don't. This is painful."
- kanye west nicki minajWhich Rapper Would Make <em>The Best American Idol</em> Judge?Over the last few weeks, a number of rumors have hit the 'net surrounding which artists may fill open slots at the <em>American Idol</em> judges' table. A handful of rappers have been thrown into the mix and are reportedly listening to pitches from the hit show. XXLMag.com decided to match those names—Kanye West, Nick Minaj, Diddy and Pharrell—head-to-head to see which hip-hop star would make the best judge.