Contact Us

XXL‘s SXSW Diary, Day 2: It’s Show Time!

After having so much fun at Molotov on Monday night, I expected the South By experience to kick into full gear Tuesday. Interactive folks were no longer in town and people traveling for the Music Festival were now starting to trickle in. Our main focus on Tuesday was to prep for the kick off show to our Freshmen Live series at the Transmission Warehouse. Again, things got off to a slow start. —Carl Chery (@cchery)

Tuesday March 13, 2012… 1:00 p.m.
I head to the elevator to meet Adam and Vanessa and bump into Havoc of Mobb Deep on my floor. I realize that our rooms are only a few doors apart.

Tuesday March 13, 2012… 2 p.m.
After grabbing some food, Vanessa, Adam and I connect with Harris Publications publisher Dennis Page. We head to the Austin Convention Center to grab DP and Adam’s SXSW badges.

Tuesday March 13, 2012… 2:30 p.m.
We drop off DP and Adam at the ACC.

Tuesday March 13, 2012… 2:35 p.m.
Vanessa drops me off at the W Hotel to pick up my bag.

Tuesday March 13, 2012… 3:00 p.m.
We arrive at the Transmission Warehouse and begin to set up banners for the makeshift backstage area where Freshmen and industry insiders got to chop it up with folks from Monster Energy, Soul By Ludacris headphones and Reebok.

Tuesday March 13, 2012… 5:00 p.m.
After we finally finish settings things up, we head to a nearby Mexican restaurant to grab some food.

Tuesday March 13, 2012… 5:45 p.m.
As we’re walking back to the venue, we’re happy to see that a line is already forming outside of the Transmission Warehouse. DP goes to one of the kids standing line and asks him who he’s here to see. “Kendrick Lamar,” the boy replies.

Tuesday March 13, 2012… 8:00 p.m.
Doors open. It’s showtime.

Tuesday March 13, 2012… 8:07 p.m.
DJ Skee arrives and chops it up with Adam for a bit. We snap a photo of him and the lovely lady who handled the door—her name escapes me—can’t help but sneak into the flick.

Tuesday March 13, 2012… 8:21 p.m.
The homie Courtney Lowery from Epic Records arrives at Transmission Warehouse. Adam and I discuss the night’s show and Future, who has yet to set foot in the venue.

Tuesday March 13, 2012… 8:25 p.m.
I head backstage and bump into DJ Alamo of Brand Nubian fame, who setting up shop for Ludacris’s Soul By Ludacris headphones.

Tuesday March 13, 2012… 8: 28 p.m.
We bump into Dustin Ray from Monster Energy backstage.

Tuesday March 13, 2012… 8:30 p.m.
I ask for the bathrooms and I’m informed that I’ll have to use the porta potties outside. Yikes!

Next Page

Recommended For You

Around the Web

Best of XXL

It appears that you already have an account created within our VIP network of sites on . To keep your personal information safe, we need to verify that it's really you. To activate your account, please confirm your password. When you have confirmed your password, you will be able to log in through Facebook on both sites.

Forgot your password?

It appears that you already have an account on this site associated with . To connect your existing account just click on the account activation button below. You will maintain your existing VIP profile. After you do this, you will be able to always log in to using your original account information.

Please fill out the information below to help us provide you a better experience.

(Forgot your password?)

Not a member? Sign up here

Sign up for XXL Mag quickly by connecting your Facebook account. It's just as secure and no password to remember!