Eminem
2000 Man of the Year

2.jpgHaving gone from the underground battle-rap circuit, to making an album with Dr. Dre, to being a triple-platinum, two-time Grammy winner in the space of a year, Marshall “Eminem” Mathers might have thought he’d peaked. Nope. When his second album, The Marshall Mathers LP, came out in May 2000, it sold 1.8 million copies its first week in stores—the second biggest opening week in music-industry history. (Justin Timberlake’s boy band N’Sync had sold 2.4 million in a week two months earlier.)

While the album remained at the No. 1 spot throughout the summer, legal trouble and public controversy threatened to eclipse the Detroit MC’s pop chart supremacy. Weapons charges, assault charges, marital strife, an ugly lawsuit with his mother and protests staged by activist groups upset at his “hate lyrics.” Still, the American public couldn’t get enough of the trailer-park kid turned MTV darling who could rap circles around his peers, and by the end of the year, The Marshall Mathers LP had sold a whopping 7.9 million copies. Best of all, for us, the album’s title track included this famous diss/shout-out: “Double XL! Double XL!/Now your magazine shouldn’t have so much trouble to sell.” Turns out he was right. (Thanks, Em!)

In a candid interview, Eminem reflects on the year he became a worldwide phenomenon.

The Marshall Mathers LP set the record for the biggest opening ever by a solo artist when it sold 1.8 million copies its first week. Did you look at those numbers as a huge success or a tremendous pressure to come?
I’m always way more interested in the creative side than anything else. I’m not the type of artist who is asking every 10 minutes what we have sold so far. Of course, I was happy and shocked by those numbers—they are crazy, especially with the way sales are today. I can’t really remember exactly what I was expecting to sell. We were just trying to do as well as the last album did. The problem is that once you reach those kinds of sales, everyone expects it to keep coming, which is pretty impossible.

You started 2000 by winning Grammys for Best Rap Album and Best Solo Performance for The Slim Shady LP. Did you ever imagine you would be a Grammy-Award-winning artist?
I never really understood what the hell a Grammy was. Growing up, it always seemed like a bunch of older people wearing tuxedos, deciding whose album they thought was the best. It’s nice when people want to give you an award, but I’d rather have the respect of my peers in the type of music that I make than anything else first. But now, I don’t mean to brag, I have nine of those muthafuckas, and I love them, so I’m trying to get one more, to make it an even 10.

You also won three MTV Video Music Awards that year. Were you happy, or did all of the recognition go against what you wanted to say as an artist?
I definitely feel like, with the MTV Awards, the people watching are more so the types of fans that buy hip-hop music. So to receive those kinds of awards was more like the type of attention I wanted. I was, of course, worried that I was becoming like all of those pop artists that I was taking stabs at around that time. But then again, I was taking stabs at just about everyone. I should start doing that again.

——- Read the rest of our Eminem feature in XXL’s September 2007 issue (#95)

XXL Staff Picks

the blond bomber can suck a dick

• jburg

Holla Says:

August 14th, 2007 at 9:53 am
    the blond bomber can suck a dick
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I smell a hater. You mad cause a white boy is better than your favorite rapper. Don’t hate the man is one of the best there ever was PERIOD!!

• http://www.myspace.com/alejandroz2892 lil RaZcal

FUCK U “holla”
    you cant rap for shit if you were to battle EM’ you wouldve cryied because he wouldve dissed u so bad you would thoughts of suicide.
    em’ is better then you

• http://xxlmagazine.com Cal

I think Em was hinting a new album on the way when he said he’s planning on getting a tenth award. Maybe he was just playin around though. Then he jokes about goin’ back to the media hype style of dissin everyone another hint? Who knows but it gets us stans hyped up.

SHADY RECORDS dick heads.

• John Brown

Damn, I think Imma go listen to The MM lp…Em needs to go back to the first 2 LP’s that he came out with.

• WZ

em is the reelness

• Holla

Uh ohh! all the white boys are angry at me. Oh no! Em is the biggest gimmick in hip-hop history. Let me diss my mom and wife, talk about my daughter, and make 4 albums about the same thing. Em fall off HARD with Encore. That was the worst album by a top tier MC in HIP-HOP HISTORY. He was talking about putting animals up his ass, and superman, and pukeing and all this corny shit. He made a cot damn song about the guy who played superman. Em is gay.

• medfire

I remember when that album came out and the streets (Im from uptown, nyc) just bumping it like crazy. My favorite song from that album is ” The Way I am”. His flow on that song is one of the greatest ever. I am latino and I respect Em because he is always coming up with something new and he never brags about the money he has, even though he has more money than 99.99% of these rappers. I respect that. To me he is top 5 all time and some black people might not admit it because he is the “Rap Elvis”. Do your thing Em, Ill be copping your next album.

• That Guy

the biggest gimmick in hip-hop is MF Doom. The nigga wears a fucking mask.

• Incilin

There you, this one makes real sense. Em was a monster on the mike at that point. Every verse he jumped on he murdered. 2000 was defy Ems year.

• J S-O-T

I think you’ll find 50 cent is the biggest gimmick (fake) in hip-hop history my friend, i’d love to know who your favourie rapper is, it don’t really matter cuz em’ would lyrically slaughter the muhfucker!

• Young Dangerous

watch for King Marshall haters.

• Rockcity

YEa Em is that ish even tho he fell off a bit but who doesnt fall off once n a while, hes still one of the greatest, 2000 was a great year for hip hop

• meenstreek

How can you have Supreme Clientele as one of the best albums of 2k but, not have Cherchez La Ghost as one of the songs of the year?

• CMoney

Damn, 2000 had a shitload of great Hip-Hop music. I miss the days when listening to radio was actually hot.

• jburg

actually “holla” I am black. I just know how to recognize a good artist, and not hate because of skin color. homo! grow up!

• Rodjilius

i never really cared for eminem but i can definately respect him and say that hes good since he is one of the biggest artists around

• http://DDupointdos.state.fl.us Ghost of 2Pac

It was just a moment in time, he broke the rap color line! No other white boy can’t ryhme like em’.

• Incilin

#
    Ghost of 2Pac Says:

August 14th, 2007 at 1:32 pm

^^^ Ahh, there were a lot of white acts before Em (The Beastie Boys come to mind). Just ask Billy X for the proof. And the truth is, there are very few black guys or guys in general that could rhyme like Em. In the year 2000 the only rappers that was close to as hot as Em was Andre 3000, Ghost, and prolly Jay.

• soy yo

Em shoulda been included in the top 5 Mcs of all times MTV did. He’s just the greatest of his time, passed Jay and Nas and same as Biggie and Pac. His life dont matter, what he talks about aint relevant, he can just make any topic rhyme and sting. Kanye said it when he refered to wayne as Em with a hood record (though the comparison is upon diferent levels: Em > Wayne). It aint a black or white thing, all rappers admit he is fire. He is a real MC: no gimmicks, no bling, no money-based, all about his raps and lirycs.

• http://DDupointdos.state.fl.us Ghost of 2Pac

Incilin Says:

Yeah I know that!! But you missing the point. I know there was other white rappers before him. But didn’t sale the way em’ did. It was just his time to shine. You feel me.

• Pingback: V-D-B: The Wu-Tang Moutain » Blog Archive » Y2K as seen by XXL: Supreme Clientele

• redd

Jay-Z better get 2001 man of the year.

• lukee lefty

I Just Wanna Love You(give it 2 me) was the biggest record of the year in 2000

• Eminem

Damn,maybe working with Elton John wasn’t such a good idea.I really fell off!

• http://www.xxlmag.com RApId tOnGuE

WHO WANNA BATTLE?/I’LL CRACK ON YOUR ADAMS APPLE AND MAKE YOU BABBLE/MC’S SHUT UP AND LISTEN/BEST RAPPER ALIVE IS NOT MY MISSION/I DONT DO THIS FOR THE RECOGNITION/I JUST BACK SLAP WACK RAP CATS WHO TALK SMACK/I MAKE THERE BACK CRACK/KINDA LIKE A CHIROPRACTOR/HOMIE, YOU AN ACTOR/I’LL MAKE YOU DISSAPEAR FASTER THAN CASPER!!!HIT ME UP ON MY MYSPACE (sacface1991@yahoo.com)TELL ME WHAT YOU TRULY THINK!!

• stunner

em deserves his props like him or not he is top 5 of all time for sure, i know its cliche but he comes in right behind big,jay,nas and pac…..hate it or love it haters

• FADE

just due

• Biggie

EM Don’t Give A Fuck What Ya’ll Think of him, and it don’t matter if he’s white, he’s still one of the best.

• http://www.yahoo.com what it do

eminem is weak.. His flow is alright but his voice sounds like he plugs his nose all the time. And the last song he did for T.I.’s album.. T.I. killed ems flow on that song

• westcoastridah

like nas said. em killed jay on his own shit.

word!

• sk

@Holla.. ur right that Encore album had me smh..but you gotta give credit where credit is due EM is 1 of the best to ever rap (.)…first time I started paying attention was when I heard that song on that first Biggie duets album when he said “I got a nine in my pocket..ahhh some shit like that I must have rewinded that shit over a 100 times just trying to catch wtf he was saying not knowing at the time that was even EM

• NIFTY

Listen! Eminem is 1 of the best, he cud probs out spit weezy!!

• N.O. 4 life

the most overatted rapper ever…don’t come at me with album sales because the only reason he sold so much is becuase he’s white….people who don’t listen to rap buy his CD’s

• LOL

^stfu, SSLP = classic, MMLP = classic, TES = classic.

• http://xxlmagazine.com Cal

The MOST overrated and underrated for sure man. I love Em but it’ll never be final which one he is there’s too much going both for and against him but I know he’s the best aint no diggidy!!

• J Hiebs

Best rapper EVER, Fuck any of you racists! saying its because he is WHITE!so the fuck what, he can spit stupid ass people!

• Durty South

MnM can rap, spit, whatever you wanna call it. But ON SOME REAL SHIT, after Katrina, it ah take ah miracle fo MnM or any other white boi to come in the game like MnM did. It dont matter if he can rhyme superbly or not. U can cry it aint fair, but alot shit change after 2000, everything on race. 2k he’ll have that though

• nick

ok for all the haters saying he fell off. what the hell are you talkin about he came back with the eminem show witch i would be suprised if he got the man of the year for 2002 niether for that cd and the movie 8 mile. and then he came out with encore witch everyone says he fell off but if he fell off then why did he go 5 times plat. higher then any of your fav rappers could have sold at that time.

• Angel B

i saw Em at madison in ny it was the best show ever!!!

• Ryan

LOL Says:

August 15th, 2007 at 11:40 am
    ^stfu, SSLP = classic, MMLP = classic, TES = classic.

^^
    The irony in this statement is tremendous……………..

• Halle

Eminem is still one of the illest rappers in the game..i miss the 2000 ish on the radio..that was some real shit…@ Holla…you jus a playa hata..cant no one deny eminems talent..he can spit lyrics like no otha and is real..definitely in top 5 mc list behind big pac nas and jay

• FASA

hate it or luv it ems still on top.and he gon shine until them haters ass drop.fuck it man,ems d ish and once d next one drops…im gon cope it!hola Nija!

• bottom boi

em cool but white dudes worship this dude to much its amazing how you find out how many white dudes actually come too this site when its a story about Em. HE is not the top 5 of all time maybe to 10 but not top 5 sorry white boys and the two black ones. Em is a comedian rapper his wordplay is good he had some serious songs that were hot but he known more for his silly spoofs and comedic antics. One thing though i respect EM for is that he never tried to be black or rapped about being black. To many upcoming white boys try to hard to act black and not stay true to themselves making them seem so fake. EM IS DEF THE BEST WHITE RAPPER OF ALL TIME but not top 5 look at the list man

1 Pac
    2 BIG
    3 Jay-Z
    4 Nas
    5 PUN

Em cant take pun spot cuz pun was so much of a lyrical beast with the wordplay and more creative. if PUN aint it sorry white boys it still aint EM.

• http://xxlmagazine Cal

Yo man i’m Kenyan and I rush to the scene when Em’s name pops up. There’s clearly something about dude that drives the masses insane and pisses lil cowboys like you the fuck off. I don’t know either but for sure for every hater who says em aint a top 5 mc there’s 50 of us to dispute that shit. I wouldn’t be listening to him if weren’t such a creative force. No top list mc has even shown an ounce of distaste in Em’s stature in rap in actuality they all believe he deserves to be there. Why is it Jay and Nas are affiliate themselves alot with the Shady/Aftermath camp? Your speaking for them when they aint even caring about your opinion!!!

• General Garner

Eminem is a beast, whoever say he aint, need to get that D4L shit out they head. Who in the game has ever said Em was garbage? When you mention his name to dudes in the game, them niggas always say he talented, he can rap, he got a cold flow, even fake thugs like Benzino say he can rap eventhough he got beef with cuz, real talk tho Em is a beast, black or white, hands down he a true lyricsist, he havin trouble right now but they new cd gone be hot. REAL TALK NIGGA

DETROIT STAND UP, FENK-TOWN A.K.A. 5 MILE HOLLA AT THE KID.

• green doggg

never bought an eminem album and never will

• http://xxlmagazine Cal

thats why he writes songs for fags like you!!!

• Coca1n3

Em is the best Mc!period

• CAT

REGARDLESS OF HIM BEING BLACK OR WHITE, WHETHER HE FELL OFF OR NOT EVERYONE HAS TO ADMIT THE BOY GOT TALENT

• http://aol.com illa-noise312

any body who has ish to say about eminem needs to spend there time doing something else. a lot of black rappers rhyme about ish that only a certain group of people can relate to, even tho the majority of their sales come from people who dont relate to it at all. but eminem raps about things that almost all people can relate to, no matter there skin color or background. also he’s been loyal to hip-hop and rapped for more than 10 years before he got a deal, when he should have been getting a job to feed his little girl. one of the best mc’s of all time

• kritiq

lol at white boys who think em is better than 3 stacks. Andre 3000 would merk dude in he’s sleep top five

1.Nas
    2.jay
    3.Big
    4.Andre 3000
    5.common yah I said it.

• Cuban Link

Sorry yall but Em>3000.Real talk, Eminem might have got soft with that whole funny shit like “Big Weenie” (wtf?) but Ems whack “funny” shit>Andre’s whack singing.

and I dont know about like completely raping him, but Em could defiantly beat out 3K in a battle.

• ryle

lil RaZcal Says:

August 14th, 2007 at 10:16 am
    FUCK U “holla”
    em’ is better then you
    Cal Says:

August 14th, 2007 at 10:40 am

SHADY RECORDS dick heads.
    John Brown Says:

August 14th, 2007 at 10:45 am
    WZ Says:

August 14th, 2007 at 10:55 am
    em is the reelness
    Holla Says:

August 14th, 2007 at 11:00 am
    medfire Says:

August 14th, 2007 at 11:09 am
    That Guy Says:

August 14th, 2007 at 11:20 am
    the biggest gimmick in hip-hop is MF Doom. The nigga wears a fucking mask.
    Incilin Says:

August 14th, 2007 at 11:24 am
    J S-O-T Says:

August 14th, 2007 at 11:48 am
    Young Dangerous Says:

August 14th, 2007 at 11:51 am
    watch for King Marshall haters.
    Rockcity Says:

August 14th, 2007 at 1:32 pm

soy yo Says:

August 14th, 2007 at 2:27 pm
    Ghost of 2Pac Says:

August 14th, 2007 at 3:09 pm
    Incilin Says:

V-D-B: The Wu-Tang Moutain » Blog Archive » Y2K as seen by XXL: Supreme Clientele Says:

August 14th, 2007 at 3:21 pm
    […] Eminem: 2000 Man of the Year [XXLmag.com] […]
    redd Says:

August 14th, 2007 at 5:07 pm
    Jay-Z better get 2001 man of the year.
    lukee lefty Says:

August 14th, 2007 at 6:29 pm
    I Just Wanna Love You(give it 2 me) was the biggest record of the year in 2000
    Eminem Says:

August 14th, 2007 at 6:53 pm
    Damn,maybe working with Elton John wasn’t such a good idea.I really fell off!
    RApId tOnGuE Says:

August 14th, 2007 at 7:23 pm
    stunner Says:

August 14th, 2007 at 7:33 pm
    FADE Says:

August 14th, 2007 at 9:10 pm
    just due
    Biggie Says:

August 14th, 2007 at 9:35 pm
    what it do Says:

August 15th, 2007 at 12:29 am
    westcoastridah Says:

August 15th, 2007 at 2:25 am
    like nas said. em killed jay on his own shit.

word!
    sk Says:

August 15th, 2007 at 3:10 am
    NIFTY Says:

August 15th, 2007 at 7:05 am
    Listen! Eminem is 1 of the best, he cud probs out spit weezy!!
    N.O. 4 life Says:

August 15th, 2007 at 8:01 am
    LOL Says:

August 15th, 2007 at 11:40 am
    ^stfu, SSLP = classic, MMLP = classic, TES = classic.
    Cal Says:

August 15th, 2007 at 12:48 pm
    J Hiebs Says:

August 15th, 2007 at 1:53 pm
    Durty South Says:

August 15th, 2007 at 4:41 pm
    nick Says:

August 15th, 2007 at 9:55 pm
    Angel B Says:

August 16th, 2007 at 7:55 am
    i saw Em at madison in ny it was the best show ever!!!
    Ryan Says:

August 16th, 2007 at 10:11 am
    LOL Says:

August 15th, 2007 at 11:40 am
    ^stfu, SSLP = classic, MMLP = classic, TES = classic.

^^
    The irony in this statement is tremendous……………..
    Halle Says:

4 Nas
    5 PUN

Cal Says:

August 17th, 2007 at 3:12 pm
    General Garner Says:

August 18th, 2007 at 11:07 am

DETROIT STAND UP, FENK-TOWN A.K.A. 5 MILE HOLLA AT THE KID.
    green doggg Says:

August 20th, 2007 at 10:55 am
    never bought an eminem album and never will
    Cal Says:

August 20th, 2007 at 1:07 pm
    thats why he writes songs for fags like you!!!
    Coca1n3 Says:

2.jay
    3.Big
    4.Andre 3000
    5.common yah I said it.
    Cuban Link Says:

August 21st, 2007 at 7:49 pm

and I dont know about like completely raping him, but Em could defiantly

• DMac

Em needs to watch 8mile and listen to his first 2 cds again cuz his last 2 were gggggaaarrrrbbbbaaaaggggeeeeee…. AND IM WHITE!!! Encorewas especially bad though, damn he fell off.

• Hawai’i

em is one of the best rappers ever. but i dont think he is the best.

1. Jigga
    2. Mos Def
    3. Common
    4. Travis McCoy(Gym Class Heroes)
    5. Mr. Mathers

im just not into todays rappers. they all just talk about their money and how hot they think they are. i dont give a shit about that. listen to my list to learn what rap is really all about.

• ado

lot of black people jus h8 him simply cuz hes white. WHO GIVES A FUCK!
    black white purple red! respect him 4 his music. hes a LYRICAL GENIUS! END OF!
    fuck all haterz

• Tumi

Why all this hatin 4 the white boy? C’mon if jigga can admit that slim is 1 of the greatest why can’t u muthafucken haters? The Marshall Mathers LP is the biggest sellin rap album of all time which states that it’s a classic. Stop hatin!

• Freudian Nightmare

Em is the man…hands down. One “flop” outta 4 major LP’s. Even his “flop” Encore isn’t all about bling. I’ll admit, there were tunes on Re-Up (You Don’t Know, Public Enemy #1, No apologies) that should have appeared on Encore and vice versa (Puke is funny…but coulda been a mixtape track along w/a couple others). Also, Encore has amazing flow on some songs if you didn’t have em’s other albums to compare it too. Besides, when someone’s worst album sells better than most other “good/great” albums put out around the same time says something….and don’t play with “ppl copped it cuz it wuz em and assumed it would be hot” nonsense. Everyone who buys albums nowadays has usually heard the leaked version first.

• dre-day

I think shady should be tittled man of the decade coz belive it or not,that man has managed to maintain his top spot since his first LP.I’m black and i trully belive that shady will always be the best regardles.plus almost 80% of black rappers who are in the game don’t come close to slim.let us not be mad at the fact he’s better than most of our black bros and just be thankfull for this heaven sent gift

• http://www.32weekspregnantultrasound.com/how-much-does-a-baby-weigh-at-32-weeks-pregnant/ 32 weeks pregnant symptoms

Nice find! That comments form is a really nice example of using textures.