Table of Contents July/August 2011
- 40 TIME IS MONEY He might be kind of short, but LIL WAYNE is the biggest MC in rap and has been going on for four years strong. With serious business ventures on the brain, the YMCMB boss is gearing up for the release of his much-anticipated Tha Carter IV. Rappers beware, and heads get ready.
- 48 SHE BE PUTTIN’ ON
She’s just a phone call away for some of hip-hop’s biggest stars in their times of legal need. Get to know defense attorney STACEY RICHMAN. Hope you don’t need her number.
- 54 TUPAC BACK JUSTIN BIEBER hearts Tupac. And recently, the pop sensation has been getting more love from rappers than XXL does. Bitter? Nah. We love him, too (Justin and Tupac).
- 58 BUILD YOU UP
Canadian boardsman BOI-1DA offers a peek into the home studio where he keeps making those bangers.
- 60 1+1Opposites attract – just ask ICE-T AND COCO. Here’s how the hardened gangsta-rap pioneer and the bountiful blonde with the real booty fell in love and now keep their relationship fresh.
- 64 MY BEAT BANGIn a world of drum machines and computers, Travis Barker has found his niche in hip-hop as one of the few go-to drummers for that authentic live sound. And rappers are digging the realness.
- 72 BREAK IT DOWNWith hip-hop approaching its fourth decade, has it grown out of the stereotype that it’s homophobic? XXL investigates.
- 78 ON DA SPOT Zany, wacky, screwy – all those words can be used to describe the reporter NARDWUAR and his interviews with some of hip-hop’s finest. Now he gets questioned about those standout moments.
- 23 360
The 15th anniversary of “Stakes Is High,” Royce Da 5’9” speaks the truth, and the news on Tupac’s shooting.
- 33 Show & Prove
Frank Ocean, LeCrae, Future, Kreayshawn.
- 82 Eye Candy
Sexy Yonce slithers and winds with a snake.
- 86 The Good Life
Ace Hood poolside in Miami with a banging beauty.
- 93 X-Rated
Big Sean, Wu-Tang, Trae Tha Truth – jam-packed. Here are the newest reviews. Check out XXLMag.com for more.
- 12 Editorial
VS sets ’em straight.
- 16 Letters
It’s all a Fiasco about Lupe!
- 106 Doin’ Lines
Tech N9ne spits some.