Big Pun Supporters Fight to Rename BX Street

Relatives of late rap great Big Punisher have resumed efforts to name a Bronx street after the emcee.

Nicole Rodriguez, Big Pun’s sister, wants to change the name of E. 163rd St. and Rogers Place in Longwood to “Big Pun Place,” according to New York’s Daily News—a street corner that is already marked by a mural of the hometown hero.

“I feel I owe this to my brother,” she said. “He was not only my brother, he was a father figure. He stepped in when my parents couldn’t. So I want to push for this. He deserves it.”

Since launching an online campaign at www.bigpunplace.com on Feb. 21, Rodriguez has collected more than 1,200 signatures in support of the measure and is planning a rally on intersection this Saturday at 1 p.m.

“It would become a visual cemetery for everyone,” she told the Daily News. “My brother was cremated, so there’s nowhere to visit him. This way, his legacy will live on close to home.”

Rap partner and Fellow Terror Squad member Triple Seis said the renaming would be an appropriate acknowledgement of Pun’s contributions. “I think he really deserves this, because he made such an impact in the community,” he said.

A prior street naming effort in 2000 was squashed by the city, as Pun’s lyrics were deemed “racy and violent.”

Rodriguez and Gail Tirado, Big Pun’s mother, will state their case to a community board next month.

Big Pun died of a heart attack on Feb. 7, 2000, when he was 28 years old. —Lauren Carter

  • Whitey

    I was thinking more along the lines of Pistol Whip Lane

    • Jack Tripper

      Nah he don’t need a street named after him. They trippin.

  • david torres

    It would be a blessing allowing Big Pun the opportunity to name the BX street with much love aND RESPECT.aFTER ALL THE MAN IS NOT ONLY OLD SCHOOL BUT HE CONTINUES TO BE AND WILL ALWAYS BE A LEGEND..mAY God bless u all always…Lets do this….

    • Jack Tripper

      Muthafucka used to beat his wife too. and i don’t mean smack her around. i mean BEAT HER DOWN. pistol whip her, that whole 9. That mural that they go of him is just fine.

  • Whitey

    Split a Bitch Lip Boulevard?

  • Jack Tripper

    ONLY time i ever whip a bitch is if she aint using that dildo on me the way she suppose to

  • Whitey

    Pun could ‘pistol’ whip me ANYTIME he wants *hee hee*

  • GU3

    why does he need a street named after him? biggie and pac never had streets named after them… like who gives a fuck

    • http://facebook BASE1

      BIGGIE AND 2PAC MUSIC WAS OFF THE HOOK BUT THEY WERE CONSIDERED GANGSTA RAPPERS AND THERE MUSIC PROMOTED VIOLENCE. ITS ONE THING TO RAP ABOUT VIOLENCE CAUSE PUN DID IT HARD TOO BUT BIG AND PAC STARTED A COASTAL BEEF THAT ENDED UP IN PEOPLE LOSING THEIR LIVES. IM SURE IF THE PEOPLE UP ON FRANKIN AVE WANTED A STREET NAMED AFTER BIG THEY WOULDVE GOT IT BUT THEY GOT THE SAME ATTITUDE AS YOU AND SAID FUCK IT.

  • srow

    if it like that big l, biggie, jam master jay need a street too!

  • young p

    ya’ll some haters, if he was black ya’ll would support this but since he aint ya’ll block. This muthafucka was nicer than 90% of the rest of the rap game the other 10% bein BIG,PAC,BIG l, and you know the rest. so that said he deserves it especially if the actual community wants it. If ya’ll want streets named after some other rapper than push for that, i doubt you would see Latinos hatin on it.

  • enphiniti

    I lived on Rogers place all my life and I’m of puerto rican decent and its not that hes not black Pun NEVER I MEAN NEVER did any thing for this community, for this block or in 5 block radis we had so many block parties and he never showed love to Rogers so why should he get this street named after him smh its not right take that shyt to the block he lived on and not rogers dont get me wrong i love pun’s music but he doesnt deserve a block named after him ESPECIALLY NOT ROGERS PLACE….

  • http://facebook BASE1

    BIG DOG PUNISHER ST. LOVE IT. FOR THE SHORT TIME HE WAS ON TOP HE PUT PUERTO RICANS ON THE MAP IN A WORLD THAT WAS ALWAYS DOMINATED BY BLACKS. IF HE NEVER SHOWED LOVE TO ROGERS PLACE IT WAS BECAUSE IT WAS AT A TIME WHEN PUN WAS ON BIG DEMAND TO PERFORM ALL OVER THE WORLD. IM SURE WHEN HIS MUSIC WOULD’VE EVENUALLY DIED DOWN HE WOULD’VE CAME BACK WHERE HE CAME FROM AND SHOWED THE HOOD SOME LOVE.

  • Kiezer

    FUCK WHAT ANYBODY ELSE SAY !!!!!!! BIG PUN IS THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME !!!!!!!!!!