G. Dep Pleads Not Guilty to Murder, Manslaughter & Gun Charges
G. Dep made his way to court yesterday (January 13), where he was officially indicted of second-degree murder, manslaughter and criminal use of a firearm, after confessing to shooting a man in a botched robbery attempt over 17 years ago.
According to the Wall Street Journal, Dep was handcuffed during the court appearance and was quiet throughout the proceedings, except for entering his non-guilty plea.
Dep’s new lawyer, Anthony Ricco, said, although the Harlem MC admitted to the crime, they pled not guilty as a way to explore the Deputy’s confession—which he says may have been under the influence of drugs, a problem the former Bad Boy artist has been struggling with for close to a decade. “We want to make sure what we’re dealing with the reality of what actually happened that night,” Ricco said.
Ricco also said the confession may have been part of the ex-Diddy protégé’s commitment to his enrollment in Narcotics Anonymous and the 12 step program.
As previously reported, the rapper, who’s name stands for Ghetto Dependent, walked into East Harlem’s 25th police precinct last month and confessed to shooting victim John Henkel in the chest three times on October 19,1993 outside the James Weldon Johnson Housing projects. During an interview with the New York Post, Dep said he didn’t know that Henkel died from the gunshot wounds and that he turned himself in and effort to make amends. “I thought if I turned myself in, it might give me closure,” he told the paper. “I’m just trying to get right with God.”
If convicted, Dep faces 25 years to life behind bars. His lawyer told the WSJ that he expects to reach a plea deal with the District Attorney’s office. The former Bad Boy star’s next court appearance is on February 10. —Elan Mancini