Pimp C Died from Overdose, Sleep Condition
The Los Angeles County Coroner’s Office announced today (February 4) that Pimp C’s death was caused by an overdose of prescription cough medicine and a preexisting sleep condition. According to the Houston Chronicle, assistant chief coroner Ed Winter noted that the cough medicine was not of the over the counter variety as previously believed, but was the more potent Promethazine and Codeine based product. Pimp also suffered from sleep apnea, a disorder that causes blockage of a person’s airways during sleep. "Sleep apnea, you stop breathing," Winter explained. "Coupled with a medication that suppresses your respiratory abilities, you end up with an accidental death." Pimp, one half of acclaimed Port Arthur, RX based duo UGK with his partner Bun B, died on December 4. His body was discovered in his hotel room at the Mondrian Hotel in Hollywood. He was 33. Initial reports suggested that the MC’s death may have been due to natural causes. Prescription cough syrup abuse has been suspected to have been a factor in the premature death’s of two other Texas veteran’s, the legendary DJ Screw and rapper Big Moe, both of whom suffered from heart attacks at relatively young ages.