Busta Settles in Assault Suit
On Monday (May 21), Busta Rhymes reached a settlement in a lawsuit filed against him by a man who says he was assaulted by the rapper and his bodyguard in a Manhattan deli in 2005. According to the New York Post, Busta reached the agreement just one day before he was due in Manhattan Supreme Court to defend himself to Justice Emily Jane Goodman against a default judgment that was handed down in the case last year. Melvin Smith, who claims to have been beaten by the controversial rapper, was awarded $100,000 after Busta failed to respond to the suit. The rapper explained that he was unaware of the case because he did not reside at the Long Island home where a process server delivered the related legal papers. "While I own the property, I have no access to it," Busta said in an affidavit filed recently. He explained that the Baldwin, Long Island home is a residence that he provides for his three children and their mother. He also asserted that he did not assault Smith. The details of the settlement were not revealed.