I think this question is rhetorical, but is the era of the super producer completely over? I can’t help but feel that whole idea is a product of the old music industry, the one that is being disregarded and left for dead more and more as each day passes.
The one hit wonder, with a big record that breaks regionally before spreading nationally, or comes to life via myspace or a youtube video- the one hit wonder has put the super producer out of business. And why? Probably for a few reasons, but the main one being that super producers just aren’t very reliable when it comes to making hits anymore. They recreate a sound that worked once, over and over again, and consumers are too smart for that nowadays. They’re not buying it. You have to be more creative. You can’t just keep selling them the wheel. You really do have to reinvent it.
Notable current and former super producers who I think are stuggling for relevancy, regardless of whether they’ve had hits recently:
1) swizz beats- his sound is just not interesting anymore. Too much yelling, not enough substance.
2) the neptunes- better as a rock band
3) scott storch- where’s this guy been?
4) lil jon- see above. Crunk really is dead.
5) Dr. Dre- headphones> songs he produced in last three years
Who else is struggling for relevancy? Who are the new super producers that have taken their place?