#no days off homepage
no days off
Who doesn't look forward to Labor Day? The yearly occurrence is a United States holiday created to celebrate the many workers across the country. It rolls around on the first Monday of September and is both a marker of the summer nearing a close and a much deserved day off for the majority of America's workforce. Most embrace Labor Day as a chance to relax, see friends and family, and maybe fit in one final barbecue before fall's cooler days. Some, though, don't get the day off—say, restaurant workers or TV news anchors. Others may be so focused on their grind that they choose to keep working—namely a handful of rappers. In honor of Labor Day, XXL lists some of the most relentless rappers and takes a look back at what they've added to their résumé since last Labor Day. No days off!—Adam Fleischer
Wiz Khalifa gallery
Spent more than a quarter of the year on tour (95 dates total) and appeared at a number of spot dates, including Hot 97's Summer Jam in New Jersey this past June.
- Dropped Cabin Fever mixtape unexpectedly in February.
- “Black and Yellow” peaked at No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 in February.
- Released Atlantic debut, gold-selling Rolling Papers in March.
- Won Best New Artist at the BET Awards in June.
Lil Wayne gallery
- Got out of jail in November 2010.
- Released 64 songs, including two full projects (mixtape Sorry 4 The Wait and album Tha Carter IV).
- Featured on the cover of XXL's July/August issue.
- Embarked on I Am Music II tour for 41 dates in July.
- Appeared on 16 Billboard-charting songs: “I'm On One,” “She Will,” “How to Love,” “John,” “Look at Me Now,” “6 Foot 7 Foot,” “9 Piece,” “Ballin,” “Red Nation,” “Motivation,” “Hit the Lights,” “I'm Into You,” “Dirty Dancer,” “Bow Chicka Wow Wow,” “Welcome to My Hood,” and “Fire Flame”
- Closed out the 2011 MTV VMAs
- Tha Carter IV broke the digital sales record for most record sold in one week in four days.
Lil B gallery
- Dropped 33 official music videos and 66 total uploads on YouTube page
- Featured on 2011 XXL Freshman cover
- Appeared on Lil Wayne's Sorry 4 Tha Wait mixtape
- Released three albums (Angels Exodus, Illusions of Grandeur, I'm Gay) and a slew of mixtapes, including I Forgive You late last month
- Dropped Free Music: The Complete Myspace Collection, a collection of 646 songs, in February
Maybach Music Group gallery
Rick Ross and Maybach Music Group (Wale, Meek Mill and Pill)
- Each member has released a mixtape: Rick Ross (Ashes to Ashes), Wale (The Eleven One Eleven Theory), Meek Mill (Dreamchasers) and Pill (The Diagnosis)
- Signed an imprint deal with Warner Bros.
- Dropped a group album, Self Made, Vol. 1 in May
- Collectively appeared on six hits “I'm On One,” “I'ma Boss,” “Tupac Back,” “That Way,” “John,” “9 Piece”
- Released frequent music videos and flooded the Internet with behind the scenes footage like “Rick Ross MTV VMA 2011 Weekend”
- Meek Mill featured on 2011 XXL Freshman cover
- Has released three albums (Pilot Talk II, Covert Coup, Weekend at Burnie's) and two mixtapes (Return to the Winner's Circle and Verde Terrace)
- Prepping Pilot Talk III and Muscle Car Chronicles
- Reportedly working on a mixtape with Wiz Khalifa and Big Sean
- Signed with Warner Bros.
- Toured extensively with Smoker's Club, Rock the Bells and more