The best beefs are not always between rappers. Sure, launching diss records back and forth can make for great music, but when it comes to sheer entertainment, beefs between athletes and rappers can be just as fun to watch from the sidelines.
The latest incident is between NBA All-Star Kevin Durant and rap newbie Lil B. Things started between The Based God and The Scoring Champ after the baller tweeted he tried to listen to Lil B and his “mind” wouldn’t let him do it. He then went on to say he “can’t believe this guy is relevant.” Lil B then challenged Durant to a game of one-on-one, saying if Durant lost, he has to sit and listen to Lil B music and make his girls listen to it too. Durant accepted the challenge, saying if he won, Lil B has to retire from rapping.
There have been plenty more athlete-rapper spats, so check out a brief history below.
Don’t we just love this game?
- #lil b kevin durant featured
- athleterapperbeefs1Jay-Z versus Deshawn StevensonBack when the Cleveland Cavaliers had LeBron James and DeShawn Stevenson was on the Wizards, the two of them had a small tiff. Stevenson didn't fancy James that great of a player, James said Stevenson as a player was like Soulja Boy and James himself was Jay-Z in comparison. Stevenson got Soulja Boy courtside tickets to the next Cavs/Wizards game. Jay-Z, quick to help out his friend James, recorded a freestyle dissing Stevenson over Too $hort's "Blow The Whistle."
- athleterapperbeefs2E-40 versus Rasheed WallaceWhen Wallace said in an interview he doesn't enjoy the musical contributions of rappers like E-40, E-40 responded with the song, "Record Haters" from the 1996 album, <em>Tha Hall of Game</em>.
- athleterapperbeefs3Lil Wayne versus LeBron James and Dwyane Wade (not pictured)In a recent interview with <em>Rolling Stone</em>, Weezy had some choice words for LeBron James and Dwyane Wade. He said, “Them niggas never speak to a nigga. They don’t chuck me the deuce or nothing. Nigga spent all that money on them fucking tickets....Come holla at me. We sit right by them little bitch-ass n*****. At least come ask me why I’m not rooting for you.”
- athleterapperbeefs4Rick Ross versus Floyd MayweatherAt first, it was between Rick Ross and 50 Cent. But once Floyd Mayweather — a close ally of 50 Cent — chimed in with his thoughts on the Ross/50 beef, Ross started going after him too. The beef soon ended, though neither party settled it in the ring as we hoped.
- athleterapperbeefs550 Cent versus Chad OchocincoJust a small war of words on Twitter between these two, but entertaining nonetheless. After 50 politely criticized Ochocinco's playing and then telling him he loves watching him play, Ochocinco replied by threatening 50. In classic Fif fashion, 50 tweeted back to Ochocinco, "Are you retarded nigga I said I love the way you play."
- athleterapperbeefs6LL Cool J versus Mike TysonLL Cool J had a beef with the rapper Canibus. As a reply, Canibus recorded the song "2nd Round Knockout", featuring ad-libs by the former heavyweight champ. Though Tyson didn't say anything bad about LL directly, the boxer was guilty by association and we just have to assume Tyson and LL aren't exactly the best of friends.
- athleterapperbeefs7Fat Joe versus Roy Jones<em>"Even Roy Jones was forced to lean back"</em>. Once Fat Joe rapped those words on his monster hit record "Lean Back", Roy Jones was ready to rumble. Eventually the two settled their difference in a chance meeting at New York's Club Exit where Jones confronted Fat Joe. Jones later told the press onlookers made their exchange look bigger than what it really was and all was cool between them.