Nike Launches Twitter RSVP System, Users Respond
Nike officially launched its newly-introduced and innovative Twitter RSVP system this past weekend with the re-release of the Air Jordan Retro XII Playoffs.
Nike has implemented the Twitter RSVP system in attempt to end the chaos that accompanies “campouts,” or the crowds of people that stake out outside of sneaker stores to cop the latest kicks. Camping out has always been an integral part of the sneaker culture, but as of late, the tradition has been associated to crimes, violence and riots that have received mainstream media coverage. The Twitter RSVP system has been launched to alleviate all of the above.
The relatively simple Twitter RSVP system is used to help manage product launches at Nike stores. Rather than waiting on line and risking either being robbed or getting caught in the middle of rioting or the retail store running out of pairs, sneaker enthusiasts will now be able to reserve kicks via Twitter. The Twitter RSVP system is only applicable at Nike stores, where campouts, preorders and midnight releases have been banned. Campouts and lineups will still be held at sneaker shops such as Footlocker, Finishline, etc. For full information on Nike Twitter RSVP, read below:
Twitter RSVP is used to help manage product launches at Nike Stores. Follow your local Nike Store on Twitter for launch announcements and frequent updates.
The Twitter RSVP Process:
- On the RSVP date, our store will send a tweet at a random time to begin our Twitter RSVP process, including a product specific hashtag (#tag).
- Once registration is open, you must Direct Message (“DM”) the store within 60 minutes. The DM must include:
- The product-specific #tag tweeted by the store
- The last 4 digits of your State/Passport/Military/School ID number
- Your shoe size (limit one).
- Confirmations from the store will be sent via DM to those who have successfully secured their requested size. Shoes will be awarded on a “first respond, first serve” basis.
- Confirmed recipients must pick up their product (in person w/ identification) from the store on the day of launch. Unclaimed product will be announced on Twitter and will be re-released at the store’s discretion.
How do you properly RSVP through DM? Here’s an example:
- Store Tweet:
Twitter #RSVP is now open for the Air Foamposite One.#Electrolime
- Consumer Response (DM):
#Electrolime, 4253, 10.5
Twitter RSVP Terms and Conditions:
- One item allowed per person, even if you receive two confirmations of successful registrations. Abuse of this rule may result in denial of purchase or entry to future launches.
- Confirmed recipients must provide a valid ID that matches the last 4 digits used for RSVP.
- Size cannot be changed once it has been confirmed to a person through Twitter RSVP.
- Resell or trade of Twitter RSVP confirmation is prohibited.
- Twitter RSVP confirmation is not transferable and not redeemable for cash or for credit towards any purchase.
- Lines will not be allowed to form outside the store for this release.
- Launch process is always subject to change at any time at the discretion of Nike, Inc.
|Store Name||City||State||Twitter Handle|
|Nike Las Vegas||Las Vegas||Nevada||@NikeLasVegas|
|NIKETOWN Los Angeles||Beverly Hills||California||@NikeLA|
|Nike Mall of America||Bloomington||Minnesota||@NikeMallAmerica|
|NIKETOWN New York||New York||New York||@NikeNYC|
|Nike Roosevelt Field||Garden City||New York||@NikeRooseveltFD|
|NIKETOWN San Francisco||San Francisco||California||@NikeSF|
|Nike Santa Monica||Santa Monica||California||@NikeSantaMonica|
|Nike Running Bay Street||Emeryville||California||@NikeBayStreet|
|Nike Running Eugene||Eugene||Oregon||@NikeEugene|
|Nike Running Fashion Island||Newport Beach||California||@NikeFashionIsl|
|Nike Running Fashion Valley||San Diego||California||@NikeFashionVal|
|Nike Running The Grove||Los Angeles||California||@NikeTheGrove|
|Nike Running Lenox Square||Atlanta||Georgia||@NikeLenoxSquare|
|Nike Running South Coast Plaza||Costa Mesa||California||@NikeSCPlaza|
|Nike Running Stanford||Palo Alto||California||@NikeStanford|
|Nike Running Westchester||White Plains||New York||@NikeWestchester|
|Nike Running Westfarms||Farmington||Connecticut||@NikeWestfarms|
|Nike Running Westport||Wesport||Connecticut||@NikeWestport|
Solecollector.com, a staple in the sneaker community, has been running forums to compile comments and complaints about Nike’s Twitter RSVP system firsthand from footwear fanatics.
“Worked great for me in NYC no complaints because that you need to be online by 9 or they give your kicks away," posted user “ANTC”. "From what I heard from the guys on 5th ave they had to come up with an idea to stop campers next to Tiffany's cause they were getting the police involved."
Fellow New Yorker “McRyan” was also able to pick up his Playoffs, writing, “The system is pretty good tbh(to be honest)...I copped the Playoff 12s at Niketown NY without a problem. There was still a line, but it was very organized. I arrived at the spot at like 7:30, had to wait on the line for like 30mins, but it was worth it.”
“9ner4lyphe,” a member from California, shared his input "as well. “Sent my DM within 3 min of receiving the RSVP tweet from my local NT (Niketown) and didn't get a confirmation," he said. System is okay I guess...just have to be quicker with the reply.”
Many of the concerns voiced included not having Nike store locations near them or not having Twitter accounts.
The Air Jordan XII’s were originally released in 1997 and were the first Air Jordan sneakers in the Jordan Brand Line. The XII’s were the first Jordans to not have the Nike “Swoosh” logo anywhere on the shoe, including the insole. The original release of the Air Jordan XII’s in 1997 was also the last Air Jordans to come in a Nike shoebox.
The black varsity red and white colorway Air Jordan XII Playoffs were originally retro'ed in 2004. The 2012 Air Jordan Retro XII Playoffs were listed at $160 retail price, and due to supply and demand, are now being sold for over double the original amount, on average. — Christian Bonoan (@chrisakachise)